Thursday, July 5, 2007

i like tea

Yes, it's true: I like tea, and this is the sentence that I can say the best in Kiswahili ("Ninapenda Chai.") My language skills are progressing slowly ("pole pole"), but at least I'm moving forward. Tony can remember more words than I can, so it sometimes feels competitive when we study together. Every single conversation in Tanzania MUST begin with an exchange of greetings (in Kiswahili), and this is an example of conversations I have every day:

"I respect you, older person."-- or-- "Problems with your life?"
"I accept your respect and I'm delighted." --or--"No problems."
"How have you slept?"
"Peacefully."
"How did you wake up?"
"Peacefully."
"How is your morning/afternoon/early evening/evening?"
"Good."
"How is your work?"
"Good."
"How is your home?"
"Good."
"How is your family?"
"Good."
"See you later."
"Thank you, see you later."

I'm not kidding--if I want to buy some of my beloved tea, the transaction must begin with the above conversation first. Tony and I are spending about 8 hours a day in class, learning Kiswahili, and we study every night and practice talking with our family. We love our family and are predicting many tears when we leave. Next week is our mid-term language test, and after that we're going on safari to Mikumi National Park--we can't wait!! We have moments of extreme frustration, mainly because we can't say exactly what we want to; we also have moments of great satisfaction when we CAN say what we want to. We cooked "Pasta American" two nights ago, and it was a big hit--I had three Tanzanian women hovering around me as I prepared it. My next project is to bake some form of cookies or cake without baking powder or baking soda--wish me luck. Tanzanians LOVE sugar, and our mama can't wait for the baking lesson. Ok, so it's time to go back home and study--keep those letters coming, because you can't imagine how good it feels to get one.

5 comments:

modgirl said...

Hi-how about a yeasted coffee cake type cake? I know this still brings up needing baking soda OR powder, but this table might help if you find yourself looking for other ingredients. big sugary kisses-T

http://www.ehow.com/how_114372_substitute-missing-ingredients.html

modgirl said...

a few more ideas:
Easy Butter Cookies I

"Light and buttery, these cookies will only take about 15 minutes to prepare."
INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, softened

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets.
2. Mix together all ingredients until well-blended.
3. Roll 2-inch sized pieces of dough into balls and place on cookie sheet. Flatten each with the back of a fork.
4. Bake 13 to 15 minutes until light brown. Let cool on wire rack.

modgirl said...

ok-this is one just for Tony (even though I'm guessing all the ingredients may not be available...
Beer Cake I

INGREDIENTS:
1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
1 (3.5 ounce) package instant vanilla
pudding mix
1 cup beer
1/4 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), grease and flour a 10 inch Bundt pan.
2. Combine cake mix and pudding mix in a large bowl. Add beer and vegetable oil and mix lightly. Add 4 eggs. Beat at high speed until mixture is thick, creamy and smooth. Pour into greased and floured Bundt pan.
3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 55 minutes. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely. Frost as desired.

Roadhouse said...

hello there,
well, i'vre really been enjoying your blog postings. where can i see pictures?? putting together a package to send. how old did you say the little girl is?? i'll include baking soda and powder in the package so you can bake to your heart's content for the next 2 years. i can't imaginf 2 years without baking. enjoy the safari -sounds amazing! brooke

no name said...

I love reading your blogs, Carla Ann. I'm going to be sending you a little package soon! I love you!