Friday, November 23, 2007

it's raining mangoes

Right this second, I am looking at the biggest mango tree I have ever seen. There are hundreds of mangoes hanging from the branches; it's hard to walk in certain areas without stepping on the little underripe babies that fall too early. Kids throw rocks to get them to fall when they want a little snack.

We had Thanksgiving/Tony's birthday dinner last night at the Acropol Hotel here in Morogoro. It's owned by a Canadian woman who is really kind to the Peace Corps Volunteers here in Moro, and she cooked sweet potatoes, three bean salad and pumpkin cake for us, among other goodies. She also has a bunch of dogs, so we got a little dog-love, too.

Back to reality tomorrow, when we head home to Kibakwe. It's hard not to feel a little bummed out--Morogoro has tons of water and endless fruit & veggies, not to mention yogurt and other delicacies that we cannot get in Mpwapwa. I'm trying not to feel jealous of people who live here--I really like it here. The grass is always greener, isn't it?

2 comments:

Kim said...

Happy Thanksgiving a day late. I am so much more thankful this year for the things I have because you and Tony. The two of you have opened my eyes to so much in the world that is so easy to overlook. Because of the two of you, I try to end my day thinking of everything I am thankful for. So thank you for bringing the world a little bit closer. I am blessed to have such wonderful friends as you in my life.
Love,
Kim

Roadhouse said...

i checked out the hotel you stayed in on-line. looks really nice. i'm sure it was a treat to be there.
thinking of you 2 often - even looked up tkts to TZ. so temptimg, but the $1,800 each brought me back to reality. if only i didn't have those damn kids and husband:-D

looking forward to the next post! brooke