Wednesday, December 12, 2007

one last tidbit

We're getting ready to leave Dodoma and just stocked up on the essentials: avocados and passion fruit. Do I think about food constantly? Yes, particularly since I live in such a tiny town where a wide variety is simply not available.

I forgot to mention something really interesting that we did when we first got here last week. We had the chance to visit an orphanage called "Village of Hope" (or "Kijiji cha Tumaini" in Kiswahili.) This particular orphanage is run by an Italian Catholic priest, and has 150 HIV+ kids under the age of 15 living there. In one word: inspirational. He told us the story of his orphanage, then took us on the grand tour. The facilities are amazing, but more important than that was watching him interact with these kids: the love in his heart knows no boundaries, and he hugged and kissed and cuddled every child he passed. They were equally happy to be with him, too, jumping into his arms or holding his hands. He originally started the orphanage to give these kids a place to die peacefully, knowing what love feels like. With proper love, nutrition, health care, and a clean roof over their heads, the kids started thriving, not dying, so he has had to keep expanding the facilities (first a primary school, now a secondary school which opens next year.) His mission on earth is to give these orphans love, and it's working. I left with high hopes of working with him at some point during my Peace Corps service.

Ok, back to food. It's time for Indian (we found the secret Indian restaurant here in Dodoma) and I'm hungry. Not really--I just ate more yogurt. But that won't stop me.

2 comments:

no name said...

Wowwww, I couldn't keep from getting goosebumps and tears when reading about the orphanage. It strikes a personal chord. Incredible, the love. I can see you working with him, Carla Ann. Thank you.

TomFlood said...

Catholic stories like this piss alot of people off b/c its a chink in the "church sucks" argument. Sure the church does stink but not everyone in it sucks. As Mom's friend's say "hate the sin, love the sinner" :-). Its folks like father Liugi (you never named him, so I have) who make it ok to have been raised Catholic. They also cause me to look at myself and ask some questions for which, at least right now, I only have insuffient answers.

Enjoy the beach, give tony a kiss from me and wear a wide brimmed hat. Love ya