Saturday, January 19, 2008

a quick WOW!

We're back in Mpwapwa after our HIV workshop in Dodoma. On the second to last day of the seminar, we all went to a primary school near our training center to do some practice teaching about HIV. We worked in a group of four: me, Tony, Zizo and Gilbert, and we prepared for a few hours the day before. The preparations were not exactly how I would prepare for teaching by myself; lots of time was spent drawing straight lines with rulers on our teaching notes. I was sort of dreading the experience, because I was worried our "dudes" would get shy and clam up, and I'd be forced to teach with my limited Kiswahili. Ok, I was worried for nothing. Once we got in that classroom, our dudes sprang to life--they kept everyone interested, they managed the students well, they solicited questions and kept everything moving really smoothly. Tony and I watched with our mouths open, handing them chalk or paper when they needed it. Wow. They totally rocked, and we told them so afterwards; they could not have been happier to hear how pleased we were. THAT'S why we're here--to train teachers, to facilitate events, not necessarily to teach ourselves. That's the philosophy of Peace Corps--one day we'll go home, and we need to leave behind people with the interest and ability to continue educating in our absence. I consider this a huge success; these kids needed a chance to shine, we gave it to them, and they stole the show.

1 comment:

bb said...

Yay for you! And yay for Gilbert and Zizo! Please tell them that we're proud of them back here in the US of A. :)

Hope the grantwriting goes well. I can't wait to hear about it.

Sending love and hugs...