Monday, March 31, 2008

rain!

It's been raining almost every day, and we couldn't be happier. The farms are doing well, and our garden is green and lush--people are really happy, hata sisi ("even us".)
We had a house full of Peace Corps friends for Easter, which was great. In case I haven't mentioned it recently, our house is TINY, and we had 7 of us total, sleeping on every available surface. We cooked lots of delicious food, listened to music, laughed a lot, and enjoyed relaxing together.
Our Peace Corps supervisors were very pleased with our grant proposals for the hiv education days, and we should have no problem getting the funds. Considering this was the first time we ever wrote grants, I think we did pretty well. Tony and I are great planners and organizers, and I'm expecting these projects to go really, really smoothly.
What else? Pipi the kitten is happy and healthy, and I've really grown to love her--I miss her when we're away from home. I'm actually thinking of bringing her back to America with us!
On a personal note, I would like to say a special thank you to everyone who has made the effort to keep in touch with us. I cannot possibly explain how happy it makes us to get emails, letters or text messages from home. This has, without question, been the most difficult experience of our lives, and support from home makes everything a little brighter. It was our choice to attempt something like this, it's been incredibly difficult, but we're happy to be here and our connections with our families and friends make us feel stronger. Asanteni sana, tunawapenda ninyi wote ("thank you all very much, we love you all.")

Yep, I can speak Kiswahili. Can you believe it?

2 comments:

moniCa said...

hi! im a pcv in south africa, completeing my service on july 11. im looking to get in touch with ocvs in tanzania, so i thought i would search blogs and try my luck! i plan on travelling there in october, and i would love to stay with volunteers along the way. please email me if you think you might want to be of help. if possible, id like to forward a short message to the entire group of volunteers, asking them to email me if anyone would be willing to host a wandering stranger :) when you get a chance, please email me at monica817@msn.com. hope things are going well and that youre having a wonderful experience!

moniCa said...

haha, im not looking to get in touch with OVCs, but with PCVs! what a slip-up!